[argyllcms] Re: Display Calibration Hardware Capabilities

Graeme,

Thanks for the test evaluation information.  Part of the difficulty with the
ColorMunki is that X-Rite does not publish any detailed specifications about
the relative performance of this instrument on their website; they do have
data for the i1
(http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1461&Action=Specifications).
Thus, we don't know what the inter-instrument variability is, or what QA/QC
procedures X-Rite use on CM prior to releasing specific units for sale.  I
have both a CM and the NEC branded i1 display that is configured for high
gamut monitors.  Until I started learning the ins and outs of the ArgyllCMS
tools I have been using NEC SpectraVision II to calibrate my monitor.  I get
comparable calibration results with both instruments.  I also have an i1 pro
coming in next week (it has been on back order) and will also look to see
how this performs.  I have done some extensive paper profiling (Epson 3880)
on two gloss papers (Museo Silver Rag and Ilford Gold Fiber Silk) and get
better profiles with ArgyllCMS than with CM software as judged by both the
gamut output and visual inspection of a test print (I used 980 patches and
maybe going to higher patch values can refine these results).

I'm not disparaging Ethan's test results since he only had one CM to test.
Looking at his test methodology, it was quite sound.  I don't think CM users
should despair, it is a decent enough instrument.  Whether the quality
control at X-Rite is sufficient to assure minimal variability between
instruments is unknown at present.

Alan