[argyllcms] Re: Compatibility with i1 (Eye One) Display Pro 3 retail and OEM?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 11:18:21 +1100

János, Tóth F. wrote:
> HDTVs convert the RGB input to YCC for internal processing and do a
> lot of messy stuff inside.

I'd be a bit surprised if they did that for RGB/VGA or any
HDMI that is using RGB encoding. The video decoding comes before the
RGB part, and the basic display tech. is RGB.
(ie. there is no way you'd want to encode RGB as video and
then decode it again.)

> 2012/2/15 ridouan <ridouan@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> Excuse me for barging in (and maybe this is something that is covered by
>> some basics), but when you say non-additive display, what do you mean/what's
>> the context, given the fact that all displays are using an additive color
>> system by definition? Thanks!

In an ideal world displays RGB displays are additive, but we are not
in an ideal world. If there is any crosstalk between the individual
channel value of a pixel, and if this crosstalk is non-linear or
if the pixels response to the control values are non-linear,
then the light output will not be perfectly additive.