[argyllcms] Re: Compatibility with i1 (Eye One) Display Pro 3 retail and OEM?

  • From: Kristian Jörg <krjg@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 09:36:31 +0100

Graeme Gill skrev 2012-01-26 00:14:
Kristian Jörg wrote:
Hi,

I am about to bye one of three different calibration packages and depending on
which I choose I
might end up with either an i1 Display Pro retail meter from X-Rite or an i1
Display Pro OEM from
Chromapure or Spectracal's CalMAN.

Will either of these i.e retail or OEM version of the meter work with Argyll?
It works with the retail and calman meters at the moment (and next release will
work with the NEC meter). Chromapure, I'm not sure about, since no-one with
that meter has reported what's going on.

Graeme Gill.
From what I have learned the situation is this:

Calman and Chromapure use the *same* OEM meter, so if Argyll support the calman one it should also support the Chromapure one. According to Chromapure no special password etc is used to lock its meter in any way. I would very much like some confirmation that this is indeed true since I am leaning towards the Chromapure bundle right now... According to Chromapures own site the above statements are true.

Chromapure can only use the OEM version, not the retail due to licensing problems. From what i gathered there is two different SDKs, one for the OEM, and one for the retail. The OEM SDK is freely available. The retail one is hidden. Wether this is true I do not know. Do you use the SDK or do you access the meter in another way?

Calman can use both the OEM version (which is available in bundle only) and the retail version also. Somehow they have solved the licensing problems...?

And to make the situation yet more confusing there are other branded versions of the meter also. The NEC one and C6 from Calman. The C6 can only be used for CalMAN. The NEC one I guess follows suite and is only usable from its own software.

So the NEC will be available next release. No word on the C6?
Btw, I learned the NEC meter should have some specific filters that fits the NEC monitors better. Is this in hardware? It should limit the usability for general use with Argyll I guess?

How come that Argyll can use all these versions of the meter when other software cannot? The i1Profiler software cannot use the OEM meter for instance.
Just curious... I am quite happy Argyll somehow do support them! :)

/Kristian