[argyllcms] Re: Compatibility with i1 (Eye One) Display Pro 3 retail and OEM?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 12:21:46 +1100

Kristian Jörg wrote:

> Calman and Chromapure use the *same* OEM meter, so if Argyll support the
> calman one it should also
> support the Chromapure one. According to Chromapure no special password etc
> is used to lock its
> meter in any way. I would very much like some confirmation that this is
> indeed true since I am
> leaning towards the Chromapure bundle right now... According to Chromapures
> own site the above
> statements are true.

Hmm. I'll believe all that when I see it, or have someone confirm it. So far all
the OEM's meters have different enable codes.

> Chromapure can only use the OEM version, not the retail due to licensing
> problems. From what i
> gathered there is two different SDKs, one for the OEM, and one for the
> retail. The OEM SDK is
> freely available. The retail one is hidden. Wether this is true I do not
> know. Do you use the SDK
> or do you access the meter in another way?

Possible, but sounds a bit strange/unlikely to me.

> Calman can use both the OEM version (which is available in bundle only) and
> the retail version
> also. Somehow they have solved the licensing problems...?

I've no idea what X-Rites SDK licensing involves, but as far as I can gather,
the
only differences between these meters is the enable code, which the application
provides. ie. the same SDK could be used on any of the i1d3 meters, but you
won't
get anywhere without the enable code for your model meter.

> How come that Argyll can use all these versions of the meter when other
> software cannot?

I'm not using the X-Rite SDK since I want to support Linux.