[argyllcms] Re: Compatibility with i1 (Eye One) Display Pro 3 retail and OEM?

  • From: Kristian Jörg <krjg@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 08:59:36 +0100

Graeme Gill skrev 2012-01-30 00:47:
Btw, I learned the NEC meter should have some specific filters that fits the
NEC monitors better.
Is this in hardware? It should limit the usability for general use with Argyll
I guess?
I'd be really surprised if there were any difference in the filters, as they
have been
very carefully tuned for a colorimetric response. The usual approach with the
i1d3
hardware is to provide a calibration file (display spectra).

Graeme Gill.

About that. I am considering buying the PRO version of the Chromapure bundle. With that comes calibration files that corrects the already quite accurate OEM meter to even higher levels by using a refererence spectrophotometer of high quality. Those calibration files as I understand it is made to different types of displayes such as LCD, plasma, LED backlight etc. As advertised these calibration files should make the meter very accurate with all the types of displays that are covered (10+ types).

(I think the retail X-rite i1 Display Pro has a similar approach in its iProfiler software)

First question. Is the Chromapure PRO bundle with extra reference calibration really necessary in practice or is it just advertising fluff? I ask because with the use from Argyll a thorough understanding of the quality levels of the i1d3 meter should exist withing the community already?

Second question. If I do purchase the PRO version, can Argyll use those calibration files? If not at the moment, then maybe in the future with some modifications to the code? I am a programmer myself (although mostly in Java nowdays) and I can probably help out with that.

/Kristian