[argyllcms] Re: Compatibility with i1 (Eye One) Display Pro 3 retail and OEM?

  • From: Kristian Jörg <krjg@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 10:22:14 +0100

Graeme Gill skrev 2012-01-30 09:24:
Kristian Jörg wrote:
About that. I am considering buying the PRO version of the Chromapure bundle.
With that comes
calibration files that corrects the already quite accurate OEM meter to even
higher levels by using
a refererence spectrophotometer of high quality. Those calibration files as I
understand it is made
to different types of displayes such as LCD, plasma, LED backlight etc. As
advertised these
calibration files should make the meter very accurate with all the types of
displays that are
covered (10+ types).
The calibration accuracy of the meter is determined mainly by two factors:
1) By how accurate the spectral sensitivity curves are that come with the
instrument 2) by how accurate the spectral response of the display is
characterised.

So unless Chromapure is doing their own instrument spectral sensitivity curve
calibration (possible, but takes some effort), they are limited to 2), which
is nice, but ultimately limited by 1) (and other factors such as instrument
stability, and the fact that it doesn't measure refresh displays quite
as well as (say) the DTP94).

As I understand it CP is measuring each meter individually and attaching individual calibration profiles to every "PRO" unit. They charge about £60 for it. Of course there are always errors introduced in the process at some point regardless what meter you use, from temperature variance and ageing etc. Even the reference meter may be off to some degree. I am still debating in my mind if it is worth the cost or not for the PRO. Some input from you and the comunity on this matter would be highly appreciated.

When you say the DTP94 is better for refresh displays you get me a bit confused. I will be calibrating refreshing displays only. I.e a plasma TV, a PC monitor with led backlight and another with a PVA display (for photo editing) and a Home Theater LED based projector. Are you saying the i1d3 is not a good option for these displays? Or do you by refreshing displays mean CRTs?

(I think the retail X-rite i1 Display Pro has a similar approach in its
iProfiler software)
I'm not sure what you mean. They provide a set of display calibrations intended
cover a range of display technology. Hopefully X-Rite chose the particular
displays as being average representatives of each technology.
I'm not sure what I ment either. I thought they had a standard and a pro offering as well. Never mind that then. Maybe I confused it with their ColorMunki product.
First question. Is the Chromapure PRO bundle with extra reference calibration
really necessary in
practice or is it just advertising fluff?
No idea. Someone with access to suitable reference measurement facilities would
be about the only way to scientifically determine this.
Ok.
Second question. If I do purchase the PRO version, can Argyll use those
calibration files?

Presumable yes, if they are simply .EDR files.
Well if not, then we'll have to figure out how to convert them.

/Kristian