[argyllcms] Re: Camera matrix profile, adding ti3 perfect white data set

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:24:19 -0700
On 2010 Jan 22, at 10:10 AM, Iliah Borg wrote:

>> Any chance you can post a picture of your setup, and
>> perhaps a parts list?
>
> My setup is different and much more expensive, since I
> started it 4 years ago and it went through much trial and
> error. However what I described is how to scale it down.

Sounds like all the more reason to do a full write-up...assuming, of course,
you have the time (etc.) to do so.

>> If I'm understanding this right, since you're essentially
>> profiling a target with (almost) monochromatic light
>> sources, wouldn't that imply that one should be able to
>> do the profiling with a linear RAW conversion with no
>> white balance applied?
>
> Yes, but also take into account that the 2 green channels
> have different properties in many cameras.

I had no idea. Makes perfect sense -- why restrict yourself to R-G-B-G when you
can do R-G1-B-G2? Presumably, just as with human tetrachromats, it makes for a
subtle but non-trivial improvement.

I'm personally just waiting for the camera with spectrometers for
photosites...and I'm sure pretty much every astronomer is, too....

> There are some
> other ICC implementationl imitations that need to be
> addressed, precision being one of very important here.

I can (only) imagine....

Cheers,

b&