[argyllcms] Re: Camera matrix profile, adding ti3 perfect white data set

  • From: "Iliah Borg" <ib@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:37:14 -0500

Dear Elle,

> Are
> incident light
> meters used to profile/calibrate printers?

Normally, not.

If you have two grey cards, you can do this: mount your
target with a double-sided scotch tape onto one card. This
will not only help keeping it flat, but also it will help
checking the reading; as grey cards are usually pretty firm
and have uniform reflectivity. Position your target, and
cover it with the second grey card. Thus you can take white
balance, and also use the covering second grey card to
check the readings using the eyedropper.

> FWIW, my argyll matrix camera profile is amazingly much
> better than
> the default Adobe matrix embedded in dcraw.

No wonder. Apart from Adobe colour in ACR being "Mr.Knoll's
best guess", cameras and lenses differ from each other just
like printers do. Canned profiles do not cut it.

> do you make separate profiles for your cameras with and
> without CC
> filters?

Depends on the purpose. I usually do profiles for CC30m and
CC40m filters, and all polarizing filters. I do not profile
for filters I use to add effects - just the same as with
film.

--
Best regards,
Iliah Borg