[arachne] Re: Arachne and packet drivers

  • From: Stegozor <stegozor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:40:43 +0100

Ron Clarke wrote:

Hi Folks,

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 05:39:04 +0100, Stegozor <stegozor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I installed the latest Arachne under Windows Millennium, and it seems to
work fine. The only problem (and it is a problem) is that I can't tell
Arachne that my computer is properly connected.

    My guess is that you WILL need to find a packet driver that works.
Try:
http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/result.jsp?selected=5&sort=effdt&order=desc&sku=3C905B-TX-NM
(make it into ONE line) There are several drivers there to try.

The second result (ftp://ftp.3com.com/pub/nic/3c90x/3c90x2.exe) seems to be the good one. From the exe I downloaded from there, I obtained several files, and 3C90XCFG EXE tells that no 3C90X NIC were installed on my PC, but this is probably because of problems of accessing the hardware from dosemu as addressed below.

As a secondary question, could someone have a look at
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.msdos.general/4780/focus=4780 please
? I was about to try the same under Ubuntu 6.06/dosemu, but Murphy ruled
there too. If someone using dosemu could help, it would be nice.

    I don't know about the dosemu that you are using, but I am able to
run dosemu successfully (partially, anyway) in Slackware (7).

Oh, dosemu under Ubuntu is a nightmare. The default package in Ubuntu 6.06 simply doesn't work and exits with an error message. There's already several bugs filed about that in launchpad.net, we'll see the result. Hence, I installed a debian package. It seemed to work, but when I copied files into my C:\, copied files were invisible from within dos. Therefore, I installed a rpm package after having changed it to a deb using alien. But then, the packet driver exited with an error message. Finally, I compiled dosemu from source, and now the packet driver returns the following message:

C:\PACKDRIV>3C90XPD

3Com EtherLink PCI Bus Master Packet Driver v5.2.6
(C) Copyright 1999 3Com Corp.  All rights reserved.

Error: No EISA nor PCI bus were found.

And Arachne (offline, of course) is very slow. I think it's something to do with fine tuning the compiling process, but this is beyond my capabilities.

    One of the problems may be that you might need to compile it for
your specific system, or get a pre-compiled binary for your exact system.
    Another hassle, as it is with me, is that dosemu is an emulation of
a DOS system, and you will need to specifically enable access to the
relative hardware if you are ever going to try to run Arachne on the web.
   This is something that I have failed in so far.

Uh-oh. I fear this may have something to do with the message I get.

   You could also try other emulators, such as bochs, qemu and so on.

I just had a look on their webpage, but frankly, they seem too complicated for me. Maybe if I find no other solution and if I still have some courage left, which is highly improbable, I'll give them a try.

I'm about to try the same (Arachne) under Windows Millenium, we'll see the result. That said, if there's someone who managed to connect from within dosemu, his help would be more than welcome. Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --