[arachne] Re: Arachne and packet drivers

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 16:34:14 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 05:39:04 +0100, Stegozor <stegozor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I installed the latest Arachne under Windows Millennium, and it seems to
> work fine. The only problem (and it is a problem) is that I can't tell
> Arachne that my computer is properly connected.

> I cannot connect yet because I couldn't find the right packet driver for
> my 3Com Etherlink XL 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C905B-TX) network interface
> card (nic) so far.
> Worse, ftp://ftp.3com.com/pub/nic/3c90x/3c90xpkt.txt says "this packet
> driver will not work for the 3C90XB NICs such as the 3C905B-TX"...
>
> Is there an easy workaround or do I have to change my nic ?

    My guess is that you WILL need to find a packet driver that works.
Try:
http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/result.jsp?selected=5&sort=effdt&order=desc&sku=3C905B-TX-NM
(make it into ONE line) There are several drivers there to try.

> As a secondary question, could someone have a look at
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.msdos.general/4780/focus=4780 please
> ? I was about to try the same under Ubuntu 6.06/dosemu, but Murphy ruled
> there too. If someone using dosemu could help, it would be nice.

    I don't know about the dosemu that you are using, but I am able to
run dosemu successfully (partially, anyway) in Slackware (7).
    One of the problems may be that you might need to compile it for
your specific system, or get a pre-compiled binary for your exact system.
    Another hassle, as it is with me, is that dosemu is an emulation of
a DOS system, and you will need to specifically enable access to the
relative hardware if you are ever going to try to run Arachne on the web.
   This is something that I have failed in so far.

   You could also try other emulators, such as bochs, qemu and so on.

Regards,
        Ron

Ron Clarke
AUSREG Consultancy      http://www.ausreg.com