[amc] Re: Catholic Mennonites? Mennonite Catholics?

  • From: Steve Friesen <Friesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Nevitt D. Reesor" <reesor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 07:55:13 -0500

Mennonite/Catholic doesn't sound so strange to me.  I'm sure there are many
reasons why people move in this direction, but I'm guessing one of them is a
growing appreciation of ritual.  Mennonites inherit a profound skepticism
about ritual, as though it was a bad thing (or at least very dangerous).  My
experience in MCC with the Romanian Orthodox helped me see that there is
also deep meaning in the regular ritual of commumunion/eucharist/Lord's
supper.

Then for the last 4 years in Missouri we were in a Disciples of Christ
congregation where the Lord's Supper was part of every Sunday worship.  I
developed a taste for the regular bread and wine (well...crackers and grape
juice, actually).  It became an important way for me to express my
discipleship, an expression that had no words from my mouth but involved my
whole body.

All that's to say, I think Mennonites are, as a tradition, starved for
ritual.  And sometimes people cross denominational lines to regain ritual.

Steve

Ps.  We're back home.  Got in last night.