[amc] Catholic Mennonites? Mennonite Catholics?

  • From: "Micheal J. Mc Evoy" <chewy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 22:30:58 -0500

    Nevitt> Isn't that like "compassionate conservatives"?  Seriously,
    Nevitt> the following is an excerpt from a letter from Darlene's
    Nevitt> aunt, a life-long but rather free-thinking Mennonite. The
    Nevitt> link is to the website of the organization referred to in
    Nevitt> the letter. Isn't life strange: from Catholicism to Luther
    Nevitt> to Menno Simons and back to Catholicism.

    Nevitt> Nevitt

    Nevitt> **********

    Nevitt> This may come as a shock to some of you but I am in the
    Nevitt> process of becoming Catholic.  You may ask why?  As I have
    Nevitt> traveled the grief journey over the past almost three
    Nevitt> years I have found participating in the Eucharist at a
    Nevitt> nearby convent extremely meaningful.  My spiritual journey
    Nevitt> has been so enriched by a regular - sometimes daily -
    Nevitt> receiving of this mystical grace. Since I anticipate
    Nevitt> continuing this practice I decided to do what I needed to
    Nevitt> do in order to be legal about it.  Therefore my decision
    Nevitt> to take this step.  I will not stop being Mennonite.  I
    Nevitt> plan to continue with my congregation as usual.  I will be
    Nevitt> a Mennonite-Catholic.  By the way, I am not alone in this;
    Nevitt> there is a group called Bridgefolk which is composed of
    Nevitt> some Mennonite Catholics and also Catholic Mennonites.

    Nevitt> http://www.bridgefolk.net/

Actually, BridgeFolk isn't about merging or creating Menno-Catholics
as much as it is a movement of reconcilliation between the Catholic and
Anabaptist Churches.

I'm participating in the Stations of the Cross, a very Catholic Holy
Day rutual, but also one that has meaning to a Christian Community
looking for a better way to be Christian.

Shalom,
Micheal
--
Micheal McEvoy                                  St Brigid's Gate Farm
chewy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                            Mahomet, Texas

Micah4 Consulting -- Appropriate Technology for Sustainable Community

"And what does the Lord require of you but to do justice,
  and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"
  -- Micah 6:8