[amc] Service for Passion Friday, April 14, 7pm

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:33:45 -0500

We will have opportunity to participate in a Passion Friday Service as
described in the bulletin below. Hopefully those who will apprecite this
gathering will be able to adjust schedules in order to be present. May it go
well with you. Sincerely, Garland
  _____

AUSTIN MENNONITE CHURCH

April 14, 2006, 7pm

Passion Friday

Washing the feet of the disciples

When Jesus had washed their feet and put on his cloak again he went back to
the table.  "Do you understand," he said, "what I have done to you?  You
call me Master and Lord, and rightly; so I am.  If I, then, the Lord and
Master, have washed your feet, you should wash each other's feet.  I have
given you an example so that you may do to each other what I have done to
you."

                                                -- from the Gospel of John,
chapter 13

The last supper remembered

When the hour came Jesus took his place at the table, and the apostles

with him.  Then he took some bread and when he had given thanks, broke it
and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body which will be given for you;
do this as a memorial of me.  He did the same with the cup after supper, and
said, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood which will be poured out for
you.."

                                                --from the Gospel of Luke,
chapter 22

The Tenebrae Service of Darkness

Jesus is the light of the world.  When the light was snuffed out on the

cross darkness covered the land for three hours.  As each of the candles is
put out in this evening's service, let us acknowledge anew the persistent
commitment of Jesus both to teach us all he had learned from his father God
and to suffer the consequences of his consistent love for us.  The service
may end with an awkward sense of being incomplete.  Let this feeling remind
us that the work of God in Jesus in still in process.

THE SEVEN LAST WORDS OF JESUS FROM THE CROSS

1.  "Father, forgive them; they do not know what they are doing."

                                                      --from the Gospel of
Luke, chapter 23

      Hymn                                     # 257, "Were you there"
verses 1 & 2

      The first candle is extinguished

      2.  "I promise you today you will be with me in paradise."

                                                      --from the Gospel of
Luke, chapter 23

      Hymn                                    # 258, "Man of Sorrows"
verses 1 & 2

      The second candle is extinguished

      3.  "Woman, this is your son.  This is your mother."

                                                       --from the Gospel of
John, chapter 19

      Hymn              # 245, "At the cross, her vigil keeping"  verses
1,2, & 4

      The third candle is extinguished

      4.  "My God, my God, why have you deserted me?"

                                                --from the Gospel of
Matthew, chapter 27

      Hymn              # 253, "Alas! And did my Savior bleed?"  verses 1 &
2

      The fourth candle is extinguished

      5.  "I am thirsty."

                                                       --from the Gospel of
John, chapter 19

      Hymn            # 259, When I survey the wondrous cross" verses 1 & 3

      The fifth candle is extinguished

      6.  "It is accomplished."

                                                       --from the Gospel of
John, chapter 19

      Hymn                                     # 258, "Man of sorrows"
verses 3 & 4

      The sixth candle is extinguished

      7.  "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit."

                                                      --from the Gospel of
Luke, chapter 23

      The seventh candle is extinguished

      Hymn              # 253, "Alas! And did my Savior bleed?'  verses 3 &
4

We depart to follow the example of Jesus while we await his return.