[amc] Catholic Mennonites? Mennonite Catholics?

  • From: "Nevitt D. Reesor" <reesor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:18:54 -0500

Isn't that like "compassionate conservatives"?

Seriously, the following is an excerpt from a letter from Darlene's aunt, a life-long but rather free-thinking Mennonite. The link is to the website of the organization referred to in the letter. Isn't life strange: from Catholicism to Luther to Menno Simons and back to Catholicism.

Nevitt

This may come as a shock to some of you but I am in the process of becoming Catholic. You may ask why? As I have traveled the grief journey over the past almost three years I have found participating in the Eucharist at a nearby convent extremely meaningful. My spiritual journey has been so enriched by a regular - sometimes daily - receiving of this mystical grace. Since I anticipate continuing this practice I decided to do what I needed to do in order to be legal about it. Therefore my decision to take this step. I will not stop being Mennonite. I plan to continue with my congregation as usual. I will be a Mennonite-Catholic. By the way, I am not alone in this; there is a group called Bridgefolk which is composed of some Mennonite Catholics and also Catholic Mennonites.

http://www.bridgefolk.net/