[amc] Re: Catholic Mennonites? Mennonite Catholics?

  • From: "Nevitt D. Reesor" <reesor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:16:30 -0500

Steve,

I agree with your sentiments. Whatever critical sense my comments may have had should be taken as clumsy satire.

I grew up Southern Baptist, and I was taught that ritual and elaborate worship environments are meaningless wastes of resources. My visitations in Episcopal, Catholic, and Christian Orthodox Churches, however, have convinced me otherwise. I often experience the most severe, non-liturgical Protestant worship services as sterile and dry intellectual exercises by comparison. Meaningful rituals and worship environments draw the mind into a symbolic world where the over-active intellect may be calmed, allowing the heart to rest in mystery. This can also be a more holistic experience involving all the senses (incense, music, bread and wine, icons, etc), thereby at least pointing the way toward recovering an embodied sense of spirituality, something most of Christianity has sadly tried to reject. (Thanks to the worship committee and to Garland for incorporating more "liturgical" elements into our own services from time to time.)

Anyway, the notion of Catholic Mennonites just struck me as funny after working through the Reformation in Sunday School. If any of you decide to convert to Catholicism, that's fine with me. Maybe we can lower an occasional bucket of water to you in the afterlife.

Nevitt

On Apr 12, 2006, at 7:55 AM, Steve Friesen wrote:

Mennonite/Catholic doesn't sound so strange to me. I'm sure there are many
reasons why people move in this direction, but I'm guessing one of them is a
growing appreciation of ritual. Mennonites inherit a profound skepticism
about ritual, as though it was a bad thing (or at least very dangerous). My
experience in MCC with the Romanian Orthodox helped me see that there is
also deep meaning in the regular ritual of commumunion/eucharist/Lord's
supper.

Then for the last 4 years in Missouri we were in a Disciples of Christ
congregation where the Lord's Supper was part of every Sunday worship. I
developed a taste for the regular bread and wine (well...crackers and grape
juice, actually). It became an important way for me to express my
discipleship, an expression that had no words from my mouth but involved my
whole body.

All that's to say, I think Mennonites are, as a tradition, starved for
ritual. And sometimes people cross denominational lines to regain ritual.

Steve