[amayausers.com] Re: Thread Breaks On All Needles

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 17:52:18 UT

This message was posted by Rod or Sharon on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/611/2.html#000023

As a footnote to add more information to what Sharon has already said about the
rotary hook lubrication....

Think of it like this...varibles....if we were sewing on broadcloth all day,
waiting for the 200,000 stitch timer to come up wouldn't be so bad. But, then
consider sewing on fleece or caps with buckram linings and the dust and lint
that is generated from sewing on these garments...it gets into the bobbin case
area and soaks up the oil, drying it up...well you get the idea.

A story...I put a brand new hook on a customers machine, oiled it and
instructed them to oil it every morning or every four hours, just as Sharon has
mentioned in her post. Six weeks later, the customer called and said their
machine would not work..would not move, could't turn the Z-axis over by hand,
etc. The customer lived 7 hours from us....so away we go on a tech call.

We find that since we had left, this customer had let the machine sit idle, it
was in the middle of the summer and the machine had not not been used. The oil
had evaporated. Strike one.  The rotary hook was frozen solid. They did not oil
the hook on startup...when asked why...well the "timer" had not popped up yet.
Strike two.

They were sewing on fleece that was creating lint and dust. Strike three,and if
there were a Strike four, it would have been the fact that it was a brand new,
nice tight rotary hook.

When looking at the total number of stitches that this rotary hook had on it
since we left and it's last oiling, we saw that it was in the 170,000 stitch
range. This is only one story.

This same issue with dust and lint, dry heat and all the other varibles that
come into play applies to the needle bars, reciprocator shaft,takeup lever cam
disk or any other areas that are open to collect lint and dust and is open to
the air. Auto lubrication was mentioned in a post above, the difference with
that comparrision is that in an automobile, for the most part, we are dealing
with sealed bearings and a crankcase that is sealed off from direct contact
with the external environment. If they weren"t, they wouldn't last very
long.....anyway...thought I would give just a couple of reasons why we do and
say what we do.....they say experience is the best teacher, but in the
embroidery world there are some things better off not having
experienced....they are just too costly! But on the other hand, it may be good
for us techs....gee....maybe giving out all this advice isn't such a good
idea....hummmmm....

Rod Springer
Amaya Tech & Trainer