[amayausers.com] Re: Need advice

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 17:43:09 -0500

I've been surprised by the number of Amaya owners that have popped
up that have a machine and it is more for 'hobby' and a small home business
than for a commercial shop like most of us.
So it does serve a purpose!
Yes, there is a learning curve...and yes, it is NOT a 'plug and play' machine
like some salespeople try to promote it.
BUT if you can take the time to learn it-and I cannot emphasize enough-
IMMEDIATELY get the training classes (5 days) that come with a new machine.
You will then be able to get it up and running.
It is not a cheap machine-not a counter top model (although didn't someone report
that Melco IS pushing a smaller unit now?)
but there was someone in the Amaya group that posted pictures of a full jacket back with some 80-90 color changes, a picture of antique cars at a 'drive in hop shop' or
something? I remember seeing it.
You just have to figure out the procedure of color changes to match the design as
it sews and have them ready to change out.
As long as you can get enough $$ (ka ching!) to cover your TIME involved then eventually you will have the machine paying for itself. But if you don't get the right
price, you will just be giving away your time and money.
If I had to guess...I'd say a jacket back, with 30 color changes-no matter how many stitches- is going to take most of an hour-not including setting up the design, digitizing, etc. so
you'd have to get $100 just for the sewout.
I did a design for the back of a bathrobe for a church group-I don't know if it was for 'baptismal' use or if it was a cult of nudists...didn't want to know- but just to digitize the design was $200, and to sew ONE back of a robe-$75.00 (I think about 35,000 stitches, 12 colors or so) and they were HAPPY to pay it-since no one else would
touch the digitizing alone!
For the expense you are going through, see if you can find someone within traveling distance to you that has an Amaya and ask to spend a day with them, see how it works, check out the cross stitch patterns that are in the artbase that comes with it, and make sure it will do what YOU want for end product. Then make up your mind!
Roland