[access-uk] Re: Washing machine or washer drier recommendations

  • From: <Clive.Lever@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 10:32:46 +0100

Hi Audrey,

I've spoken to Kent Association for the Blind rehab for you.
If you're partially-sighted:
You want to make sure that the washing machine you get has clearly
colour-contrasted markings.

If you're blind and would operate by touch, do not get:
A washing machine with a free-running dial. That is, one that locks into
position one way, and will go round and round if you turn the other. The
dial rotation must have a definite start and end. It will be easier to
put tactile markings such as bump-ons on these.
Try to avoid those washing machine which are designed so that you can be
tidy and push all the buttons in when you finish with them. They are
harder to mark up.
Don't by an electronic machine as these rely on you having to look at
which lights are on to operate them.

Most washing machines/washer dryers these days don't have free rotating
dials, push-in buttons or reliance upon screens to operate them, so you
should be pretty safe as long as you watch out for rogue ones. Best
therefore to go into a shop that sells washing machines and ask for some
sort of hands-on demonstration. Leave it to the shop assistants to tell
you which are the best ones, and they may well say "The cheap ones are
visual I'm Afraid. You want one of these top-price models." (he says
cynically).

HTH,
Clive

Clive Lever
Diversity Advisor
01622 221163 (extension 7000 1163) Room 1.15, Sessions House, County
Hall, Maidstone, ME14 1XQ.
Diversity is a strength and we will value and harness difference for the
benefit of all service users, the individual and KCC.