[access-uk] Re: THE OLD CHESTNUT OF FREEDOM'S US AND UK PRICES

  • From: Laz Mesa <lazaro6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 13:51:02 -0400

Hi Richard,

As someone who has a US-based business in the US, I can only speculate
that they're trying to take advantage of the lack of availability of
similar products in that region of the world.  It's purely just
abusive behavior.

From personal experience, I can say that If I sell a product for $100
in US dollars, those who live in the UK pay less than 100 pounds for
the same item.  I do have to charge shipping, but I discount that by
the same amount to match the free shipping I provide for US customers,
so the international customer doesn't pay for the whole shipping
amount.

Some months back, I was surprised to see a UK-based competitor selling
an item for 90 pounds, that I would have only charged approximately
$60 for in US dollars!

There are some businesses out there which don't care anything about
their customers, as they feel that if someone needs the equipment
badly enough, they will beg, borrow, do without, or even steal to get
it, so they know that they'll make their profit one way or the other.

Regards,

Laz

"Richard Godfrey-McKay" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Pearl
camera.

It seems that if you live in the US you can currently get the camera for
$600 or about £400 whereas it's £600 in the UK.

I understand all the stuff about exchange rates, shipping (which
incidentally is free for online orders in the US) and of course we don't
know what price Freedom charges its UK distributors.

Having said all that, it seems mighty unfair to have such a blatant
discrepancy.  Does anyone have any idea why the prices should be so
different?

It would also be interesting to know whether the UK prices of Freedom
products is recommended by Freedom or fixed by the UK resellers.  It's
strange that there seems to be so little competition in the market.  Is
there any agreement between distributors as to pricing?

I'd welcome observations and particularly comments from distributors.
Richard
Richard Godfrey-McKay

Telephone: 01738-445 880

Mobile: 07791 452 593

--
Talking MP3 players!  Accessible & affordable!  Great features
including:  FM radio, voice recording, expandable memory, great book

To hear what our talking MP3 players sound like, download our demo here:
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/uploads/2/0/4/6/2046538/talking_rockboxed_sansa_e200_series_player_demo.mp3

Visit our home page:
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/

Contact information: