[access-uk] Re: An O2 story with lessons to be learned

  • From: "Jackie Cairns" <jackie.cairnsplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 10:13:11 -0000

Hi Tony

S and S were more than happy to restore my software, but the problem was
that because O2 had lost, destroyed or damaged my N82 - they gave me various
scenarios - it was going to cost £52 for a cross-phone transfer because
Nuance require an IMEI number to which the software is tied.  I think O2
were hoping to pay nothing, or as little as possible, and because I wanted
to get like-for-like and not have a branded phone, I stuck it out.

It's very hard and stressful though, and you need to be determined and have
your wits about you at all times.  I sought legal advice from Trading
Standards, and they were more than helpful.

Anyway, with any luck, I've got a satisfactory outcome.  I could have
threatened to take O2 to a Small Claims court, where they may have had to
pay me compensation for hurt feelings and all that.  But, at the end of the
day, I just wanted a phone that worked, not someone elses, and I felt that's
what they were giving me, any refurbished half-baked piece of kit they could
find.

Still, hopefully sorted, but a real reminder to people to be extremely
careful about sending in handsets to network carriers who are completely
clueless, even if they appear to understand at the point of entry.  Once the
phone goes to the Repair Centre, not Nokia, you've had it!!

Kind Regards,

Jackie Cairns
J&M Work-Ability

jandm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx