[yoshimi] Re: Command Line - a couple of examples

  • From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 19:21:59 +0000

There is an error on the help menu. I've put 'prefix' when the command is
actually 'preset'. I've no idea why a wrote that :(

Every valid command should give you a reply message. 'null' ones should too
actually, but I've probably missed a few.

I had intended to attach the effect name to the prompt. For effect presets I
intend to add it's number in brackets, as it doesn't change level. Because the
naming of them is so irregular this is one case where I think numbers are
better. Normally I work on the basis that people can remember names more easily
than numbers.

I really need to sit down and write some proper documentations too.

A brief example:

set part eff type rev
set pre 2

This assumes part 0 and effect 0 and sets the type as reverb
The second line selects preset number 2 (in whatever effect type you have) in
this case cathedral reverb.

This will leave you in the parts -> effects level, so '..' to go back to part
and make any further part changes such as volume, pan, key shift, etc.

If you had done:

set part 5 eff 2 type reverb

Then it would have made those selections along the way. Also '/' and '..' can
be prefixed to any other command but only at the beginning of a new line. After
the above little lot you could have done:

..s v 90

(set the volume)
and then:

/s p 2 en

(enable part 2)

Part effects are 'direct' so are immediately effective and there are three of
them.

System effects are applied to the final sound and receive from individual part
'side chains'. There are four of them, so every part has a side chain 'send'
volume for each system effect.
System effects can also be sent to any one of the following ones - 0 can
go to 1 or 2 or 3; and 2 can go to 3 only.

Insert effects are independent and each can be applied to one of any part or the
final sound. There are eight of them.

At part level: "s 4" changes to part four. If you'd been on vector level it
would have changed to vector *channel* 4

Talking of which, a vector example (assumes you are in the default bank root
path):

set b 110 ... sets the bank
s av 64 ... number of parts available
s ve cc 93 ... cc to use for channel 0 X axis
s y ... switch to Y axis
s cc 94 ... cc to use for Y axis
s x fe 1 ... switches to X axis and set features (just volume)
s y fe 2 ... switches to Y again and set features (pan)
s pr l 107 ... program (instrument) for Y axis 'left/up'
s pr r 109 ... program (instrument) for Y axis 'right/down'
s x pr l 20 ... change to X axis and program for 'left'
s pr r 23 ... program for 'right'
l ve ... list currently defined vectors

I worked this one out to test a number of internal switches. It found a couple
of bugs - now corrected. It actually sounds rather nice if you use whatever
controllers you have available for X & Y CCs, preferably on a joystick.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk