[yoshimi] Re: Command Line - again :)

  • From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 21:59:52 +0000

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 15:58:49 +0000
Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 15:39:05 -0600
Jonathan Brickman <jeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Wow, Will. Those are amazing developments.

Tell me: can this be used to, say, take a single whole Yoshimi instance and
apply an effect such as distortion, to the whole?

J.E.B.

Eventually, yes. It will have all the controls that are available to the gui.
However, it's not a short road :p

Something that's not obvious is that if you want to get an effect to cover all
parts together, you use *insertion* effects, not system ones, and you set the
'to' to "Master Out". System is probably a misnomer. Group would be better, but
people are so used to this now I don't think it would be a good idea to change
it.

Anyway, command-line progress :)

You can now enable and disable each part and change their volume, pan &
keyshift. Also the major effects controls are there. That is, the effect number,
the type (Reverb, Echo etc.) and for insertion and part, the 'send'.

Part is a bit odd, because it actually sends to one of the four system effects.
A part's own effects will always sound regardless.

Trying to make all this as simple as possible for the user makes it pretty
complicated to program! Some entries can be a mixture of names and numbers.
e.g. insertion send is off, master, 0-{max available parts}. it also has a
dais-chain capability between effects that I haven't done anything with yet.
I've never actually used it.

Also you can already do some quite long daisy-chains:

set part 3 effect 1 type chorus
that now puts you at the part effects level and:
set send 2 64
will then set effect 2 lever half way up.

Oh, and list effects is pretty obvious.

Most control names can be heavily abbreviated - frequently down to one letter.

Many of the controls also update the gui if it's running. Effects don't, as I
haven't worked out a safe way to do that yet :(

Still, there's plenty to play with, so have at it :)

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk