on and off topic on installing Xywrite and other programs and windows on new pc

  • From: "Avrom Fischer" <avromf@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "xywritenew" <xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 17:17:29 -0400

Dear fellow Xywriters (is there a better word)

I would appreciate the expert advice from the xylist mavens on where and how to
set up Xywrite on a new computer and other advice.

I just bought a new pc from dell with 4 gigs of ram, a 250 gig hard drive, and
win7 32bit operating system rather than the 64 bit operating system so that I
can continue to run Xywrite and other dos programs such as wordperfect and word
for word.

I intend to partition my hard drive as follows 40 gigs for c: on which I will
only install windows and nothing else. 50 gigs for d: on which I will install
any windows programs. 40 gigs for E: on which I will install all dos programs
along with data from dos programs and pure text files. I will split the
remaining space on the hard drive into three approximately equal partitions,
one of which I will use to store copies of all my program cd's and drivers. The
rest will be for date generated by windows programs in one logical drive and
the other for date from internet generated downloads.

Would appreciate any suggestions and criticisms. My motive in installing
windows on c: and nothing else on C: is that it seems from my experience to
reinstall windows is the easiest way besides a system restore for getting rid
of virus or other malware. After that I install my other windows programs. this
way I have never lost data or my access to dos files

So far I have been satisfied to run Xywrite and wordperfect within windows
without any need for programs such as tamedos. I very rarely have to go to
windows generated material when using Xywrite.

I start Xywrite and wordperfect from icons on my desktop in a window and than
alt enter to go to a full screen. My only complaint is that exiting is not
always smooth and that on startup of Xywrite itself I always get a half screen
which I have to alt w to get a full screen. Looking forward to any and all
comments, suggestions and criticisms.

Avrom Fischer
avromf@xxxxxxx<mailto:avromf@xxxxxxx> or
af413@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:af413@xxxxxxxxxxxx>