Re: copying & pasting between XY and MS

  • From: Bill Troop <billtroop@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 16:52:42 +0000

When converting a document generated by windows application such as excell or word, I paste it into a notepad since it seems to strip out hard returns, store the file with a txt extension and than retrieve it in xy.

That's fine, except it doesn't deal with potential upper ascii characters from Windows, such as left and right single and double quotes, which include the apostrophe. For example, if I want to paste the following quote from Windows (copied from today's NYT):

ArtsBeat: 'Lost' Watch

I can't, because it uses left and right quotes. But if it had used inch/foot marks, I'd be OK:

ArtsBeat: 'Lost' Watch

Similar problems arise with currency symbols other than $, with en and em dashes, and with any accented character.

Is there a way to translate WinUpperAscii into XyUpperAscii before the paste hits the screen and jumbles everything up?