[Wittrs] Re: Searle's CRA and its Implications

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 07:32:16 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Tue, 3/16/10, SWM <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> the link and post it again. (By the way the issue is not
> using a super computer, it's to use a parallel processing
> system that runs MANY different processes performing many
> different functions in an interactive and simultaneous way.

I understand that as your view, and I think you make the same mistake as the
Churchlands in the article I posted.

If Searle got his third axiom right that semantics cannot be had from syntax
(and I yes I believe he got it right, and I think the CR thought experiment
makes it blindingly obvious) then the number of processors becomes irrelevant.

If you believe a million cpu's doing syntactic operations on symbols will
generate conscious understanding when one cpu does not then it seems to me that
you must believe organic brains actually exist as multi-processor computers.

-gts