[Wittrs] Re: some helpful guidelines for reading Wittgenstein's philo...

  • From: "Stuart W. Mirsky" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 19:22:28 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Glen Sizemore <gmsizemore2@...> wrote:

> [...]

I drew a distinction, in keeping with Gerardo's point, that there is overt
behavior (publicly observable), covert behavior (publicly observable in
principle but not in practice because it is concealed -- either intentionally
or because of circumstance) and totally private behavior which cannot be
shared, even in principle, (assuming current technology). The first is publicly
observable, the second is in principle publicly observable if not in fact. The
third is never publicly observable given current knowledge and technology.

I was making the point that "behavior" can reasonably be extended from the
typically overt kind to the covert kind but that at the point where we want to
say 'and the feelings, thoughts, ideas, etc., of the behaving animal are also
part of its behaviors', we have gone from talking about behavior to talking
about the stuff once excluded from the class of behaviors by behaviorists.
Insofar as such things are now included, it is at least questionable whether
this is about behavior anymore because the definition has become so broad.

> This, incidentally, does NOT include much of what is called "mental" since
> much of what is called "mental" is not observable even to the behaving
> individual!

You'll note that MY examples were all about what I was aware of and, thus,
observing (assuming we aren't talking "microcosms" of course).

> But more importantly, the argument you use has the curious effect of cutting
> off a behavioristic account of certain phenomena. You are, in effect, saying
> that if behaviorism attempts to deal with certain issues it ceases to be
> behaviorism, and thus behaviorism can have no account of certain
>  phenomena!

If a theory was unsound as originally formulated there is nothing to prevent
its reformulation, re-branding, etc. But that doesn't leave it as it was. If it
outgrows its old confines it may be a better theory but it certainly is not
what it was. In this case if we are adding to "behavior" things we once
excluded from it, is it still right to speak of this as behaviorism? Isn't that
misleading? If there's a reason to keep the old terminology, then what is there
about this approach that warrants that?

> But behaviorism is the view that behavior is the proper subject matter of
> psychology, and that it can be a complete view, leaving nothing out.

Insofar as it is the latter, I am arguing it cannot. I agree that behavioral
study is A proper subject of psychology. But it seems to me that your argument,
and Gerardo's, for its completeness depends on stipulating a broader definition
of "behavior" than was originally envisioned or than is consistent with
ordinary usage.

> It holds that what is "spected" in introspection IS behavior (or, perhaps,
> stimuli generated by behavior).

If it's stimuli then you have already gone beyond a claim that it is all
behavior.

> Hence the term "radical behaviorism," where "radical" means "thoroughgoing."
> Unlike Watsonian behaviorism (I make a distinction between Watsonian and
> methodological behaviorim), which denies the existence of "mental imagery*,"
> and methodological behaviorism, which acknowledges the role of subjectivity
> but rules it out of scientific consideration, radical behaviorism argues that
> what
> is observed in introspection IS behavior.

And this only means that a redefinition has occurred which may be the really
radical move in question.

> Thus, rather than being a sort of concession to mentalism, what one gets is a
> kind of "super behaviorism" (i.e. RADICAL behaviorism). Radical behaviorism
> is MORE behavioristic than Watsonian or methodological behaviorism -
> especially methodoilogical behaviorism which is, in
>  fact almost indistinguishable from mentalism. As Gerardo has pointed out
> (and he has done an excellent job) is that in a behavioristic account,
> private behavior STILL follows the laws of overt behavior.

How would we know if it is, indeed, private as you say? When I had my moment of
insight on the road coming up through the Carolinas, what "laws of overt
behavior" were relevant or made that insight occur or explained it, etc.?

> Also, as he has pointed out (as have I), there are a few things that suggest
> the cogency of this position: first, there is the simple fact of private
> talking (or reading silently, for example).

That is truly "covert" in the sense of being concealed either intentionally or
by circumstance. But it isn't anything like the private moments I alluded to
when I saw certain images in my mind that clicked with the meaning of the sign.
Unless mental telepathy or its equivalent were possible, my wife who was
sitting beside me in the front seat simply could not have had access to those
images. And if I explained what I was seeing to her, the evidence suggests she
would have seen different images in her head to make sense out of my words just
as I saw an array of images to make sense out of the sign's words.

> Do you really want to argue that when we read silently we are not behaving?
> That the eye movements are the only thing that is behavior and what we "hear"
> silently is NOT behavior?

Nope, nor have I done so. I have made a different distinction.

>Second, related to this, is that the energy level of behavior is a
>differentiable property of behavior. That is, by arranging contingencies of
>reinforcement (the main explanatory principle of radical behaviorism) one can
>produce response classes where the energy level is quite low. We can't, of
>course, arrange contingencies based on complete non-observability (hence the
>similarity to to
>  Wittgenstein's treatment of the impossibility of a "private language"). But
> the point is that behavior can occur with a range of energy levels - why
> can't it occur at a level that renders it
> unobservable to anyone but the behaving individual?

It most certainly can. But that is not what the cases I described involved:
"seeing" mental images as part of a process of understanding a sign; feeling a
sensation I could not describe; losing my vision.

Here is another: A little more than a year ago, I contracted whooping cough.
Because of my weakened heart it took a very substantial toll on me. I blacked
out from coughing spasms about 20 different times according to my wife (based
on instances I reported to her and instances she observed). The very first time
I blacked out it happened like this. I was sitting at my computer working on
something that was up on the screen. My cat was outside the window meowing
desperately to get in. I got up from my seat to go let her in and began
coughing so fiercely I could not stop myself. The next thing I knew, I was
sitting at my computer screen looking at the same image, trying to focus on it
but unable to bring it into focus.

I thought that was very strange and tried harder and the words on the screen
just seemed to be beyond my ability to grasp or, the closer I looked, to even
see clearly. Abruptly the screen image faded and I opened my eyes and realized
I was staring up at the ceiling and not sitting in front of the computer at
all. Apparently the coughing had caused me to black out and I had fallen
(fortunately I didn't hit my head or do other injury to myself that time). I
had been having what some might call a lucid dream. But my behavior had me on
the floor while my thinking placed me in front of my computer screen.

By what stretch to do you want to say that the mental image I had of the
computer screen and what I had been working on was behavioral? Blacking out and
lying on the floor and opening my eyes to stare at the ceiling, I could have
had a very wide array of things going on in my mind. There was no connection
between the content of the mental image and the behaviors I had manifested.
Thus, I submit, there are things about us that cannot be explained as
"behavior".

>Indeed, the cultural evolution of "silent reading" seems to constitute just
>such an occurrence. The historical record indicates that, in fact, there was a
>period of time when "silent reading" did not occur. It has been suggested that
>it (silent reading) arose after the advent of libraries. When there are a room
>full of people reading different texts out loud, reading accurately is
>difficult. This lead to a situation that fostered ever less energetic vocal
>behavior until the public aspects were removed by differential contingencies
>of punishment. In some people, remnants of "reading out loud" remain; it is
>sometimes difficult to get children to read silently without "moving their
>lips." Finally, the most important
>  aspect of treating private events as behavior stems from the fact (and this
> is not unrelated to my previous points) that, even when unobservable, the
> hypothesized behavior comes about because of contingencies. That is, the
> total behavioral episode (and I will give an example immediately below) is
> best, given a respect for parsimony,
> viewed as behavior.

Not if it doesn't account for everything!

SWM