Re: [Wittrs] The Language Game of Professional Philosopher

  • From: Han Geurdes <han.geurdes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 19:27:00 +0200

Thanks Sean,

But the ostensive definition of 'the professional philosopher' would do
nicely to Walter too I think. A points at B saying... this is a
professional philosopher. We watch and see a long white beard. In the
sequence we hear interesting questions from B about language and truth.
Then we give him money for showing a piece of his professional capacities.
This is the professional part. So?

What is a professional politician or greengrocer? We give them money to
their display of activities. In the pub I can be a politician but will not
get a free beer for my politics. I can sell vegetables from my garden but
am not a professional greengrocer.

I need to earn a living, support wife and kids, with the tricks that I
display and then I am called 'professional'.

Can someone be a professional amateur?