Re: [Wittrs] The Language Game of Professional Philosopher

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:11:06 -0700 (PDT)

... Yes Han. I agree. But that's not the issue we were discussing. You are
quite correct that whether one labels a border case (or anyone) a "professional
philosopher" or not says nothing about the value they contribute to human
thinking, if any. I myself would find no need for the expression, except,
perhaps, in a derogatory context -- or perhaps a purely administrative (and
pedestrian) one.

But that doesn't get at the issue. The issue I was trying to show Walter
(unsuccessfully, as usual) was that one could observe the term with a sharp
boundary or not. The lesson was hence: what Walter thought was a matter of
"empirical truth," was merely a matter of the sense of the idea he preferred.
Periodically -- about once a year -- I try to see if Walter's made any progress.

But I agree with you that the the expression really doesn't do much, either
way.

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor