[wisb] Re: Warbler Quiz (long, no sightings)

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pgorman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 15:11:50 -0500

I agree that Ted makes excellent comments and raises important concerns.
Written descriptions of a bird one has observed can be a real challenge, and
also a real art.  Certainly not every rare bird will require the same length
of description.  Jim Frank's outstanding documentation of the Yellow-browed
Warbler was EXTREMELY thorough -- but this type of lengthy report was
absolutely necessary to describe and sort out identification for a bird that
is SO accidental and unexpected -- even in Alaska or the West Coast, much
less Wisconsin!  This type of thoroughness for most rare birds, although
admirable, would be greatly unnecessary to make the case.

I know that Jim was extremely sorry that the bird he observed (with
excellent looks over a good period of time) wasn't able to be photographed,
since photos would've allowed direct examination of the bird by birders who
were more familiar with this Asian species (as well as similar birds).  This
is not to say that a lengthy written documentation would've been unnecessary
in this case, but photos would have gone a long way to reassure others who
may have been skeptical about this "outlandish" and truly stunning claim!

(To me, the only comparison I can draw to a documentation challenge this
great -- at least for a Wisconsin birder -- was Randy Hoffman's report of an
Eskimo Curlew observation in Nova Scotia several years ago.)

When documenting a rare species, it is important to be as thorough as you
can be with your description -- and not assume that saying something like
"the bird had a long bill" will be sufficient to convince others that you
made the correct ID during your observation.

Tom Schultz
Green Lake Co.