[wisb] Re: Juncos (Oregon vs Brown Slate-colored)

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <malcolmgold@xxxxxxxxx>, "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:37:39 -0600

Junco ID down to the subspecies can be extremely challenging, as they are
quite variable across their North American range, and there is a fair amount
of mixing (or "hybridizing") that occurs -- making it very difficult to make
precise descriptions of the ID criteria for all of them.  Your birds may be
what are called "Cassiar" juncos, which is sort of a general term that is
used for a particular hybrid swarm.  A subspecies term that is often used is
"cismontanus".

One can do an internet search for this "Cassiar Junco" term, and/or look at
the following webpages.  The first link below is a sort of synopsis of the
Dark-eyed Junco that lists the various subspecies, and the second one is a
lengthy discussion of junco identification that might be read if one is more
deeply interested.  There are also some photo links included there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark-eyed_Junco

http://www.oceanwanderers.com/JuncoID.html

Birds referred to as "Oregon Juncos" actually include several subspecies,
and they are probably much less frequent in Wisconsin than many birders
believe.

Tom Schultz
Green Lake Co.