[wisb] Juncos (Oregon vs Brown Slate-colored)

  • From: Malcolm Gold <malcolmgold@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:40:46 -0600

I wish I had some great birding news, but alas I have not been out birding
lately.  Rather I am looking for a clarification regarding Dark-eyed Juncos
(Juncos).  I have read a couple of posts (Tim & Chris) regarding Oregon
Juncos.  Being relatively new to birding (only a couple years of actually
paying attention), I wonder what is the difference between an Oregon Junco
and a brown Slate-colored Junco.
My wife took a few pictures at her parents' house in central MN over the
holiday break, and having seen similar Juncos growing up I assumed they were
brown slate-colored Juncos.  Any other opinions?  The first three are the
pictures themselves, of which I assume there are two different birds but I
am not certain considering I was not there and my wife does not recall.  The
later link is in case the first links do not work and takes you to the photo
stream.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4069/4289286663_c057049464_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2763/4290025336_3ced24a39a_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4058/4290022730_e2df8ba648_b.jpg