[wisb] Guidelines for Totals

  • From: <rcd2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 8:31:05 -0500

Tom Schultz's question reminded me of an elderly couple I once met when birding
in
Arizona.  This couple, when they traveled to a state, would visit whatever zoos
were available much as field birders would visit sewage treatment plants in
various states.  They would then keep note of all the bird species held captive
there.  In this way they had some of the largest state lists of anyone in many
states.  They explained that this was valid as they had truly seen each of
these
birds within the borders of each of those states.  This is one of the more
extreme cases I have witnessed.

   I would say, for Wisconsin totals, that they should meet the criterion that
the ABA sets.  By these rules, Whooping Cranes at this time would not be
countable.  Also exotic released birds should not be counted.  Thus one would
not count a European Goldfinch at their feeder [though it would be appreciated
if they are reported to the WSO as they are now likely reproducing and we would
like to keep track of what is happening with them].  Subspecies should not be
included [though I would keep track of what subspecies one has seen as these
might later become species and thus become countable].  Also keep track of
ABA's
lumping and dividing -and set your totals by what the ABA has decided in these
cases.  Hybrids should not be included.  As for rare bird finds that have been
rejected by the WSO, I would leave that up to the individual and how strongly
they feel they wrote a poor documentation.

The ABA is the American Birding Association.

   -- Bob Domagalski, St. Nazianz