[wisb] Duluth Boreal Owls-update/photo

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 22:18:54 -0600

Hey everyone,
I spent the last week guiding up in the Duluth area, mostly looking for Boreal
Owls, but with the addition of lots of other birds as well.
For WI sightings in the last week: The Hawk-owl in Poplar is still present. It
seems to prefer hanging out in the stand of trees directly behind the second
school west of Wiehie Rd, viewing is best from the school parking lot.
At the Superior Airport, there are still a few Snowy Owls hanging around,
including one beautiful male.

Along the north shore of Lake Superior between Duluth and Two Harbors: There
are still a few Boreal Owls hanging around, including one that was seen today.
There is also a single Northern Saw-whet Owl bouncing around in that area as
well.
The adult Black-legged Kittiwake found by Chris Wood earlier this week was seen
on Saturday, and an immature male Kind Eider was found at Scenic 61 and
Lakewood St on Saturday.
In Duluth, a Townsend's Solitaire was found at 47th and Oakley Streets.

Also, my friend Eric Ripma found a Northern Hawk-owl at I-35 and Fall Rd, about
25 miles south of Duluth.

These are just a few of the goodies awaiting whoever is planning on making a
run up there.

Oh, and just to add to the pile, here's a photo of a Boreal Owl that I took on
Friday:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto/8466703694/in/photostream/lightbox/

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County Bird Guide Swallowtail Birding Tours
https://www.facebook.com/Swallowtailbirdingtours?ref=hl

Interpretive Naturalist Mississippi Explorer Cruises
http://mississippiexplorer.com/chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)