[wisb] Re: Duluth Boreal Owls-update/photo

  • From: Ryan Priebe <rpriebe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 07:47:53 -0600

I'm just wondering if anyone has spotted Some "great grey's" we are due for
them to return.
PS Saw a pair of bald eagles soaring over the river south of merrill wi
today 6:57am  awesome

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:18 PM, Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>wrote:

> Hey everyone,
> I spent the last week guiding up in the Duluth area, mostly looking for
> Boreal Owls, but with the addition of lots of other birds as well.
> For WI sightings in the last week: The Hawk-owl in Poplar is still
> present. It seems to prefer hanging out in the stand of trees directly
> behind the second school west of Wiehie Rd, viewing is best from the school
> parking lot.
> At the Superior Airport, there are still a few Snowy Owls hanging around,
> including one beautiful male.
>
> Along the north shore of Lake Superior between Duluth and Two Harbors:
> There are still a few Boreal Owls hanging around, including one that was
> seen today. There is also a single Northern Saw-whet Owl bouncing around in
> that area as well.
> The adult Black-legged Kittiwake found by Chris Wood earlier this week was
> seen on Saturday, and an immature male Kind Eider was found at Scenic 61
> and Lakewood St on Saturday.
> In Duluth, a Townsend's Solitaire was found at 47th and Oakley Streets.
>
> Also, my friend Eric Ripma found a Northern Hawk-owl at I-35 and Fall Rd,
> about 25 miles south of Duluth.
>
> These are just a few of the goodies awaiting whoever is planning on making
> a run up there.
>
> Oh, and just to add to the pile, here's a photo of a Boreal Owl that I
> took on Friday:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto/8466703694/in/photostream/lightbox/
>

> Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County Bird Guide Swallowtail Birding
> Tours https://www.facebook.com/Swallowtailbirdingtours?ref=hl
>
> Interpretive Naturalist Mississippi Explorer Cruises
> http://mississippiexplorer.com/chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto
>
> "The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its
> first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again
> inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living
> things breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before
> such a one can be again."
>
> (From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)
> //www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn

Ryan P. Priebe  B.A., B.S., M.S
John Muir Middle School
Art Dept. Chair
"Planting a seed is great, but don't forget to water it and give it a
little sun!", by r.priebe