[wisb] Re: Counting after the fact birds

  • From: Danny Akers <birdmandan1231@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WISC Listserv <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 12:34:06 -0500

Tom Erdman and Wayne Rohde both bring up excellent thoughts and arguments, so I
figured I'd comment again on both.

I don't disagree with Tom on the importance of photographs for identification,
in fact I'm in agreement with him. The question that springs up in my mind here
is whether or not the original observer(s) can "ethically" count the birds on
their list when they were identified after the fact. It boils down to a state's
list versus an individual's list; sure, if it really IS identified after the
fact (such as picking that Stint out of a massive flock of shorebirds in
flight), that bird really WAS present and should be treated as such with the
photographic evidence for the state checklist. But I still don't feel the
individual should count the bird on their personal list, seeing as they
couldn't identify the bird in the field. On a side note, I guess that would
cause a conundrum with eBird to report the bird but keep it off an individual
list.

As far as Wayne's scenarios, I didn't see anything there that would make me
lean towards NOT counting any birds.... all the scenarios seemed acceptable for
counting to me at least, except perhaps 1), where on a Big Day you need to
follow the rules for counting (certain percentage of members have to see the
bird, yadda yadda yadda....)...  2), I don't see an issue with, because the
birds were recognized as possibly being something different and needed a closer
look (via any means necessary). Because they were noted as being odd in the
field, I feel those are entirely countable. 3), being sticky, and perhaps
getting a little philosophical ;), I see no issue with snapping a picture of
the bird in the field and using the camera zoom to look for field marks or
characteristics to aid in the identification. You're in the field, still
observing the bird, and apparently feel that the bird is "off" enough to snap a
picture of it (or you have a hunch of what the bird might be).

I idea of a reverse identification poses some thought for myself, however. You
identify a bird in the field as such, take a picture for idenitification and
later see that you were mistaken and additional field marks pop out. As such, I
think one wouldn't have a choice in retracting that identification unless
additional observers feel that such a discussion is warranted from additional
observation or additional photos..... man this weather is making us nuts....

I see an addendum from Wayne regarding mirrors, I've often used the mirrors of
my vehicles to look at a bird on a power line or fence post behind me.
Technically the bird is still present, you're just observing it through a
mirror.... or mirrors, just like a scope!

Bottom line, in my opinion, it all boils down to whether your recognize the
bird in the field, regardless of the aid.... scope, binoculars, camera, etc. So
long as you're in the field and you can still view that photo you took, to look
for the identifying field marks, behavior, and characteristics, I see no issue
with counting a bird. But when you get home and see that Red-necked Stint in
the background and you didn't notice it earlier, you better get back out there
the next day to try and find it!

One more final thought..... where are we going to draw the line when someday we
have the technology that tells us..... "you are looking at a first-fall female
Pine Warbler"...... just THEN where do we draw the line?

Danny Akers
Iowa City & Ankeny, IA
BirdManDan1231@xxxxxxxxxxx