[wisb] Re: the Counting Question (Part 2)!

  • From: "Wayne & Susie" <wsrohde@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 12:12:56 -0500

I forgot one thing I'd intended to use as a scenario...

I wonder how many of us have ever used mirrors to ID birds.  I know I have.
I've looked in my rear view mirror, seen a bird fly by, ID'd it and counted
it.  Many times.

So (with apologies for what might sound like a far-out situation!), what if
I found a nest high in a tree, discovered young birds in the nest, and
decided to mount a mirror in the vicinity so that I could monitor the nest
from the ground?  (No, I have not done that ... yet!)  Now what if, on a Big
Day Count, and being in a tad of a hurry to get to Horicon, I raced to my
nest site, took a look through my bins into that grand mirror, found the
birds (but saw no other birds of the same species that day), and (horrors!)
dared count those birds!

Is such behavior ethical?  (We may indeed ask other questions about such
behavior!)

I raise what might seem like a silly scenario for illustrative purposes.  I
really do think some aspects of technology may challenge our current birding
rules of the game.  I guess we'll see...

Wayne Rohde
Walworth, WI