[wisb] Re: Counting after the fact birds

  • From: john romano <cajunbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, jerry937975@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 18:54:38 -0700 (PDT)

Where is the spirit of the rule here in this interpretation?  It seems to me
that based on this interpretation, there could be a photographer that knew
absoluting nothing about birds, who went around taking photos of birds and
groups of birds all day long, all year long and then takes them all to an
expert to ID. The result would be that this person, who knows nothing about
bird identification, would have a huge year list of birds because " The
photograph taken at the time of the encounter is the documentation that will
ultimately identify the bird."

The photograph is certainly documentation to identify the bird, but I agree
with Greg Seegert's intrepretation.  I think rule must assume that the person
getting the documentation is actually looking at the particular bird, thinking
about the particular bird and gathering documentation on the particular bird -
which in Greg's senario applies to the first bird the Western Sandpiper, but
not the second bird the Stint.  It makes much more sense and is in the
spirit of birding.

The point has been clearly made earlier that there are two layers here. One is
that a bird can be documented by a photo. The second layer is counting a bird
after the fact that a person had no idea was there before the photo was
analyzed.

John Romano
Madison Wis