[wisb] Re: Counting after the fact birds

  • From: Mike Duchek <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:26:04 -0500

I'm still hung up on Greg's scenario.  For **BOTH** birds (the western
sandpiper and the stint):

a) You saw both birds, but didn't/couldn't ID either correctly in the field
b) You still didn't/couldn't ID it when you got home looking at your photo
after further consulting your field guides, the Internet, etc...
c) You even had to consult Mr. Expert, and neither bird was correctly
identified UNTIL you received his assistance

I don't get why Greg would count one and not the other in this case.  Seems
should be all or nothing to me.  Does it matter for the western sandpiper
whether you had it narrowed down to two birds?  What if you narrowed it down to
5 species?  How about 10?  What if you narrowed it down to a particular genus?
What if you narrowed it down to two species, but it turned out to be a third
one you hadn't considered?  Seems like the test is "did the bird strike my
fancy at the time" which is a pretty wishy washy test.  Regardless, I just
can't see "counting" one and not the other if you needed someone else besides
yourself to help you with both.

In any case, my point was that if the question was "have I ever seen a
red-necked stint" I think I could say yes.  Certainly it probably wouldn't
qualify under the ABA rules or the rules of a particular competition, and you'd
put an asterisk by it on your list if you keep a physical one, but I could
still say I've seen one (though with a caveat).

-Mike Duchek, Waukesha