[wisb] Re: "Birding" vs. "bird watching"

  • From: "Sharon Kennedy" <sharonkennedy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <chagner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <kkraco@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 14:04:23 -0600

Hi to all,

Rather than add my thoughts which would be of little value to anyone, let me
quote Roger Tory Peterson:

    Are you a bird watcher, an ornithologist, an ornithophile, a bird lover,
bird fancier, bird bander, birder, bird spotter, lister, ticker, twitcher -
or what?  As for myself, I am primarily a bird artist and a bird
photographer, a visual person obsessed by birds.  I watch them, and they
undoubtedly watch me; their eyes are better than mine.
    I favor the term bird watcher [RTP italicized "bird watcher"] for
general use because it is inclusive.  It describes almost everyone who looks
at birds or studies them - at nearly every level, from the watcher at the
window who simply feeds birds all the way to elitists like the fellows of
the American Ornithologists' Union (AOU) and even Nobel laureates such as
Konrad Lorenz and Nikko Tinbergen, who have won distinction for their
behavioral work on birds.

Quoted from All Things Reconsidered: My Birding Adventures by Roger Tory
Peterson, edited by Bill Thompson III, page 10, and reprinted from RTP's
column in Bird Watcher's Digest, March/April 1984

If "bird watcher" was good enough for RTP, then I know it's good enough for
me!  I kind of like it.

Good bird watching to all!
Sharon Kennedy
Racine