[wisb] Re: "Birding" vs. "bird watching"

  • From: "Karen Kraco" <kkraco@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 07:42:45 -0600

I, too, prefer the sound and connotations of birding, but with non-birding
folks often use the term birdwatching, because often I wind up needing to
clarify when I use birding.

That said, I grew up with birdwatching,  and for some reason occasionally
the term birding reminds me of bird dogs and conjures an image of people
trotting toward me  a bird in their mouth.

A Google search suggests that there might be something to what Al says,
about birdwatching having a more kooky connotation -  - searching for
birdwatching brings up a number of cartoons, the most popular one being a
birdwatcher peering through binoculars with a bird perched on their pith
helmet or floppy hat.  Birding brings up many fewer cartoons.

Karen Kraco

Minneapolis, MN