[wisb] Re: "Birding" vs. "bird watching"

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Mike Duchek <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 14:22:27 -0600

I tend to take the two words to either end of the spectrum, but most consider
the two words interchangeable.
To me, a Bird-watcher is someone who does just that. Watches birds.  The word
Birder, takes the sport to a whole different level. Not just watching birds,
but actively finding them, traveling thousands of miles to see new species,
visiting other countries, photographing them, taking field notes, drawing them,
picking apart molt limits, feather details, etc
Essentially, a Bird-watcher is passive and a Birder is active, and much more
detailed.
I also (and I know a lot of you might disagree with me on this) tend to think
of the word Birder meaning someone who is far more skilled than a
"bird-watcher." Someone rather than just watching birds can ID many many
species by sight and sound and generally knows far more about how to identify
birds than a "bird-watcher. Now, just to clarify, that's my own personal use of
the word. I know many people who are superb birders who use the term
Bird-watcher to define themselves.

I also prefer the term Birder because it's a cleaner, simpler, easier to
understand use of the verb (and yes, we have turned it into a verb) "To Bird."
"I am a Birder and I go Birding." Much easier than saying "I'm a bird-watcher
and I go bird-watching."  "you do what?"
Of course, when you say you go birding, this almost always has to be clarified
with non-birders.  I'm sure a lot of people still think I go out and Burn
things......

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)