[wisb] Re: Bird Feet RFI

  • From: Erik Bruhnke <birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 13:18:15 -0600

Sorry about the confusion with my post earlier. I forgot to elaborate on the
picture in the link I included, to tie it in with my description...  The
upper portion of the leg has a more constant temp (as the blood goes back
into the bird. Both Doug and Bernie are correct too. When I said "from upper
leg to foot," I did not mean to include the actual foot of the bird, which
as Bernie mentioned from the article that William posted, the feet can be
just slightly above freezing. This is most pronounced/noted in birds that
spend a significant time around water, as the likelyhood of freezing their
feet becomes greater around all of the freezing water.... ducks and gulls.
Good birdwatching everyone,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

NATURALLY AVIAN - Bird photography and guided birdwatching tours
www.pbase.com/birdfedr
www.naturallyavian.blogspot.com
birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx