[wisb] Re: Bird Feet RFI

  • From: Tuftedtitmouse2@xxxxxxx
  • To: manderson@xxxxxxx, wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 07:52:56 -0500 (EST)

Marge,
In case you haven't yet received an answer from someone else, it is  a
"rete mirabile" that helps keep birds' feet from freezing:
_http://www.birdnote.org/birdnote.cfm?id=491_
(http://www.birdnote.org/birdnote.cfm?id=491)

Regards,

Scott Diehl
Richfield, Washington Co.

In a message dated 2/8/2011 3:11:40 P.M. Central Standard Time,
manderson@xxxxxxx writes:
Hello  WisBirders:
I read somewhere that there is something about bird legs/feet  that makes
them able to tolerate the cold with their feet exposed.  Now I  can't
remember what it was or where I read it.  This topic came up in our  office
kitchen
between me and a colleague who is raising urban chickens.   I said I
thought there would be many WisBirdnetters who would know the answer  to this,
and
since our email traffic is low in this pre-migration period, it  was a good
time to toss it out there.

Marge Anderson
Dane (and  Vilas) County

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes,  use the Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Visit Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at:  //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.