[wisb] Re: Bird Feet RFI

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 08:40:13 -0800 (PST)

Erik Bruhne said:

"By doing so, the blood remains warmer throughout the leg longer, and it
creates a more average blood temperature from upper leg to foot... whereas with
people, it's all warm, eventually turning all cold because of the lack of
heat-sharing."

Maybe I'm just misreading it, but William Mueller just posted a link to an
article that sort of seems to say the opposite:

"In addition, by constricting the blood vessels in its feet a bird may further
decrease heat loss by reducing the amount of blood flow to its feet at low
temperatures. Thus while the core temperature of a duck or gull standing on ice
may be 104 degrees F, its feet may be only slightly above freezing."

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee