[windows2000] Re: Odd Message from Word

  • From: "Berger, Gunnar" <GBerger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 08:06:34 -0500

I'm all for blaming M$ all in favor?

Gunnar

-----Original Message-----
From: Sorin Srbu [mailto:Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 3:02 AM
To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [windows2000] Re: Odd Message from Word

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:01:03 +0100, Sorin Srbu wrote:

>I get this more or less regularly. Haven't a cure yet. The document
>sizes range from a simple text-only two-pager to whole 100pp+
>dissertation papers with graphs, formatting, pictures, you name it.
>
>Like at your place, the event logs are uninformational, to say the
>least...
>
>A few times I've been able to copy the whole content, close down
>word and starting it a-new and pasting the contents back, after
>which a save was possible. This succeeds about one time in five...
>
>So far I've blamed Office 2000 for being buggy, and let it be at
>that, and advised the users to save their documents in versions,
>like document_v1.doc, document_v2.doc etc.
>
>And, oh, I hate mondays too... 8-]

Was there ever a consensus on why the problems occurred? Or do we
just continue blaming bad coding on the MS part? 8-)

>--Original Message Text---
>From: Greg Reese
>Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:36:37 -0500
>
>Odd Message from Word
>
>I had a user who was working in Word 2000 and tried to save a
>document.  Nothing out of the ordinary, about 13 pages, three or
>four embedded spreadsheets with about 10 rows each.
>
>When he tried to save it and got an error message about being out
>of disk space or too many files being open.  There are no space
>problems on his pc or the network.  We crashed his pc and opened
>the auto recover file and got most of his work back.  He can now
>save it just fine.
>
>Has anyone seen this before?  I have been asked to find out the why
>of it but am not seeing much.  The event logs have nothing in them.
>

>Mondays are so much fun.
>
>Greg

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 5 signals
>> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                        Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University              Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.
#
# ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
# /\
#
#
# Harmless tagline follows:
#
# BOFH excuse follows: because of network lag due to too many
people playing deathmatch