[windows2000] AD / DNS Structure Question

  • From: "Dan Hutchison" <hutchison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 08:23:04 -0500

I've got a question for all of the "seasoned" admins out there.  I'm
restructuring the network at my company, taking it from 4 separate W2K
servers, to one AD system.  I'm sure I know the answer to this, but I want
to run it past other people anyway for opinions.

My big question - can I do the following?  I have 4 locations, CMC, SCR,
TLC, and CCH.  What I want structurally is

Company.com   as a root (obviously this will be a real name)

Then under it as domains for each site

            cmc.company.com

            tlc.company.com

            cch.company.com

            scr.company.com

The issue is - the cmc.company.com site holds the root server.  Can I set it
up as cmc.companyname.com, and have the other domains as listed, or does the
root domain have to be company.com, leaving me with tlc.company.com,
cch.company.com, and scr.company.com?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dan Hutchison

IT Administrator