[windows2000] Re: OT: SATA Hard Drives

  • From: "Charles R. Buchanan" <daphatbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 17:45:56 -0800

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 09:12:09 +0100, "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> took
time to say the following:

SS> > I am assuming that the RAID is built in the MB so would that be
SS> > considered as hardware?
SS>
SS> No, they are connected to either the regular PATA-connectors on the mobo
SS> and/or the mobo has an extra hd-controller card w/o raid-abilities. I then
SS> use the windows disk manager to first convert the disks to "dynamic" disks
SS> and then create a striped volume set. Done. 8-)

The twio drives I will be RAID'ing would be the two SATA drives. The two
80GB drives will stay as they are. So do I need to convert these drivs
to "dynamic" drives? According to the manual, all I need to do is run
the RAID setup utility built in the MB and go from there. <shrug>

SS> As in lunix and older windows9x/me? Then probably not, I don't know for sure
SS> though. Other members on this list may know better. The windows software
SS> raid is AFAIK only supported on win2k and newer.

XP, W2K and maybe Linux.  Since I would be using the built in
capabilities of the MB, one would "think" there shouldn't be a problem
with Linux, then again, depending on the distro, sometimes it finds the
SATA drive BR (Before RAID), sometimes they don't don't.  So I don't
know how it (Linux) would/will react to the RAID setup.

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels