[windows2000] Re: OT: SATA Hard Drives

  • From: "Charles R. Buchanan" <daphatbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 21:52:57 -0800

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 10:01:41 +0100, "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> took
time to say the following:

SS> I run software raids in win2k/xp/win2k3 with same size-different brands
SS> harddrives. No problem there. If I'm building a software raid from scratch,
SS> I usually buy same size-same brand drives for practical purposes.

I am assuming that the RAID is built in the MB so would that be
considered as hardware?

SS> For Raid-0 it's true. But you don't have any security there. If one of the
SS> drives die, you loose the data on both. In practice and non-critical systems
SS> it's fine though, as it's really fast. I use this myself. With raid-0, the
SS> more drives you add, the faster it gets basically.

It's my own personal computer and I got the vast majority of my
*important* stuff backed up.

SS> Raid-0 *is* good, if you can backup stuff properly. If the data is important
SS> and you can't afford to loose, better look at raid 0+1 or similar.
SS>
SS> HTH.

The bigest thing is re-installing everything. :-(  Oh, I almost forgot,
Will I still be able to dual (sometimes triple) boot?

Thanks!

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels