[windows2000] Re: OT: SATA Hard Drives

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 09:12:09 +0100

windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <> wrote on :

> On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 10:01:41 +0100, "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> took time to say the following:
>

>> I run software raids in win2k/xp/win2k3 with same size-different brands
>> harddrives. No problem there. If I'm building a software raid from
scratch,
>> I usually buy same size-same brand drives for practical purposes.
>
> I am assuming that the RAID is built in the MB so would that be
> considered as hardware?

No, they are connected to either the regular PATA-connectors on the mobo
and/or the mobo has an extra hd-controller card w/o raid-abilities. I then
use the windows disk manager to first convert the disks to "dynamic" disks
and then create a striped volume set. Done. 8-)

>> For Raid-0 it's true. But you don't have any security there. If one of
the
>> drives die, you loose the data on both. In practice and non-critical
systems
>> it's fine though, as it's really fast. I use this myself. With raid-0,
the
>> more drives you add, the faster it gets basically.
>
> It's my own personal computer and I got the vast majority of my
> *important* stuff backed up.

Then it shouldn't be a problem.

>> Raid-0 *is* good, if you can backup stuff properly. If the data is
important
>> and you can't afford to loose, better look at raid 0+1 or similar.
>>
> The bigest thing is re-installing everything. :-(  Oh, I almost forgot,
> Will I still be able to dual (sometimes triple) boot?

As in lunix and older windows9x/me? Then probably not, I don't know for sure
though. Other members on this list may know better. The windows software
raid is AFAIK only supported on win2k and newer.

> Thanks!

No prob.

HTH.