[windows2000] Re: OT - Math Question

  • From: Chris Berry <chris_berry-list-windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 13:08:16 -0800

Ron Leach wrote:

It's been a long while in doing the math problems, so please pardon the OT.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help with the following math
problem (a little break from the normal stuff :-))

1/2(e^x + e^-x) = 4, solve for x.

1/2(e^x+e^-x)=4
e^x + e^-x = 8
e^x = 8 - e^-x
ln(e^x) = ln(8-e^-x)
x(ln(e)) = ln(8-e^-x)
x = ln(8-e^-x)

or

1/2(e^x+e^-x)=4
e^x + e^-x = 8
e^x + 1/(e^x) = 8

but that's as close as I could get. Empirically the answer is x=7.8729, but I can't quite pin down how to calculate that. Also this equation is a parabola, though I'm not sure how helpfull that is. Not being able to solve for x+(1/x)=y is driving me nuts, someone help me out here.

chris_berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Information Advisory Manager
JM Associates

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." --Noam Chomsky